New version with overworld, quests, graphics update and more
A new version of The Red Prison has been released which overhauls a lot of features about the game, but in particular there is now an overworld to explore with a number of dungeons placed over the map, friendly towns to investigate and quests to undertake on the behalf of unique NPCs!
The game plays almost entirely differently with these changes, and while it's all still a work-in-progress, there is plenty of new content to explore. The game will continue to develop from here with more quests, more NPCs, and the development of a story to discover while taking on the challenges in the many different dungeons.
Other changes include a graphical overhaul of the world which makes things cleaner and a lot better looking.
Full change list:
* Implemented static whole map starting level. Implemented special case light map for above ground. Amended save and load routines to deal with scenarios where there aren't any up and down stairs. Implemented a new vault type, which covers the whole map to be The Red Outpost.
* Continued work on fixed level generator. Continued work on The Red Outpost. Added flipping of set map on x and y axis.
* Implemented trees and shrubs into level generator.
* Implemented unique NPC generation from map files.
* Implemented flavour text for unique NPCs and necessary routines around that.
* Wrote Saint Othmar's custom flavour text.
* Updated save system to handle different dungeon branches.
* Continued work on new level generation, multiple branches and overworld content.
* Updated trees to be always visible once discovered so they act as quasi-map walls.
* Updated commands so that options on the overworld are very restricted.
* Removed most of the code to do with procedural quests because they're temporarily a bad fit for the game's structure.
* Finished special item and monster generation code using data from dungeon branches.
* Fixed weird and long-standing bug to do with placement of monsters.
* Reworked encounter generation routines and finished compulsory special encounter generation in a random vault in the dungeon.
* Implemented new tile sets for walls in normal dungeons, towns and the red prison.
* Got rid of the scorpion tail's from crab tiles.
* Implemented basic version of North Warren with unique NPCs: Odette, Sunny, Susie.
* Implemented basic version of Mirefield Keep with unique NPC: Lord Wesley.
* Finished implementing skeletons of remaining towns.
* Implemented unique monster distribution for Badbog, Catacombs, Rage Hill, Haunt and Sanctum.
* Fixed bug with hidden attackers.
* Fixed bug with item distribution.
* Changed village tile to something a bit more consistent.
* Reduced player XP gain by half.
* Added Saint Barnabas, Saint Hedwig and Cardinal Florian.
* Added flavour text for every generic NPC.
* Hopefully fixed a bug with dungeon generation which created unintentional hordes of enemies.
* Added random monster generation to special item vaults.
* Added kobold mobs spawning to warrens:2; added kobold horde as a guaranteed mob on warrens:3.
* Added Nubnag, a powerful kobold boss with the savage, relentless and extra attack traits.
* Varied the monster generation routines so there is always a chance of a random monster turning up on any dungeon level.
* Made all potions stackable to save inventory room.
* Fixed bug with NPCs dropping some items on death.
* Slightly reduced food generation rate.
* Added ranged attack stats for skeletons.
* Created necromancer horde with skeleton archers and zombie brutes.
* Added Saint Cormag the necromancer as a boss for the ancient shrine.
* Added flavour text for Nubnag.
* Designated certain encounters as special so that they don't randomly spawn.
* Added dictionary for actor positions to try and optimise the AI functions somewhat. Should cut down on a lot of looping through lists looking for actors in certain spots.
* Fixed bug with targeting system and lookup table.
* Added visual indicator of when a unique NPC is seen.
* Implemented basic journal to record all player actions.
* Implemented basic quests and reward system.
* Added gold and made it spawn as a common item in amounts between 5 and 20 pieces.
* Implemented new quest system with ability to create multiple quests per quest giver with different priorities, rewards and prerequisites.
* Fixed bug with items spawning in walls around the exterior of the map.
* Added quest given by Cardinal Florian to kill Saint Cormag.
* Finished work on quests so that they work properly and quest givers can have multiple quests to give with different prerequisites and competing priorities as well as properly giving rewards.
* Reduced how often the screen is updated to hopefully give a big boost to speed.